Monday 24 June 2013

Lets go ZOOOOMMM!! :)

I  don't know what its like to nonchalantly pack up ones bags, amidst several commitments, and just leave for the perfect destination. At 20, I haven't had my first road trip. There were several tempting opportunities that I could've pounced upon, but Mom's flat refusal would always leave me sulking and discouraged, and I would inevitably slink back into routine life. Frankly movies like Dil Chahta hai and Zindagi na milegi Dobara have done absolutely nothing for my chutzpah! Yet, I dare to dream, that one fine day, with my best buddy, I'm going to hit the road and have the time of my life!

So, This here's how its going to be- The PERFECT Road Trip..

Sumedha and I are seated comfortably in our newly rented Wagon R. Sumedha at the driver's seat, trying to appear as calm as ever, and I'm sitting right beside her, taut with tension.The pessimist that i am, I ask nervously, "You think we should've got some more people along? Not feeling right about this all of a sudden."
Sumedha speaks through gritted teeth, "You are not chickening out on this one! How unsafe can a Bombay to Goa road trip be?"
" You're nervous too!" I counter her.
"That's because our parents think we're going to Goa together to WORK on a project with a TEAM. Remember! You made it up?" But Sumedha is not going to let her conscience come in the way of having fun this time! And nor am I, despite the nagging inhibitions. History is not going to repeat itself. Yes.. Two gutsy girls have finally decided to kick some ass! No more questions are asked, as I turn up the music in the car and we start rolling on to DESTINATION GOA!

This trip is not at all like the spontaneous stuff you see in movies. EVERYTHING is planned to its last detail. Sumedha was in charge of tracking the best routes for the trip. She has the massive task of driving the car for not less than 8 hrs, and she has to be extremely confident about the routes, because there is no way a topographically lost girl like me, can be of much use where geography is concerned. I, on the other hand, was busy making inquiries about the sight seeing part of the trip, and most importantly, the BEACHES!!   After a week of meticulous planning, and stocking necessary items for our little excursion, we were ready to set out.

I'm not so much in favor of 'The more the merrier' concept. There is more adventure and thrill attached to traveling with that one best pal, who fills your life with cheer and jamboree! And Sumedha is one such friend.

We can slowly feel the excitement building up, as we bid goodbye to the familiar sights of Bombay, and hit NH17;The fastest route to reach Goa. Thanks to Sumedha's adeptness at picking up on new routes, our drive is smooth and scenic. No sooner we are driving along the Western Ghats. The ghats are picturesque and have left me spellbound. I don't pay any attention to the map that's open in front of me, leaving poor Sumedha to her own devices. It is the perfect place to take a short break. I urge Sumedha to park the car at the nearest convenient place.

Once we get off the car, we can truly admire the spectacular sight of the sun rising out of the ghats. What makes it special is that its just the two of us, in such a vast space of nothingness, to witness the morning sun in all its glory. Not a soul is around, and we both sit together on a big rock, enjoying this quiet, yet disturbingly beautiful landscape. I smile as I see the glow of sheer contentment on Sumedha's face...Yes! We finally made it till here!

Our trip has a lot of stoppages, since both Sumedha and I are suckers for photography, and we just need the slightest excuse to flick out our cameras. We stop by villages and small hutments, where we click lots of photos with the locals and try know more about a world that is so very uncomplicated and simple.

Once we pass Chiplun in Ratnagiri, we are famished and spot a clean looking teal stall, where we feast on tea and snacks. After a very unhealthy, late lunch, we hit the road again. This time all charged to reach Goa before evening sets in.

A perfect road trip cannot be perfect without a glitch or two. Two hours away from Goa, Sumedha gives me a heart attack as she confesses to me that she has lost her bearings. We've arrived at a place which is slightly forested and the road ahead is definitely not the one we should be on. The map has no markings for this place, and there is no one around to ask directions from. To make things worse, one of the tires of the car is punctured, and even though there is a spare tire in the booty, neither of has the expertise of replacing old tires for new ones. We both are panic stricken, and are on the verge of hopelessness, when I suddenly realize that I know someone who can help. I call my emergency contact at once, and he reassures me that he will arrange for a taxi to pick us up from where we are stranded. 

We wait two for hours in that secluded location, our hearts in our mouth, for the taxi to arrive. When it finally makes an appearance, we jump into it, now anxious as ever to reach Goa with an urgency like never before. We are relieved that we are on the last leg of the road trip. Our limbs feel tired after our adventures, and all I need is a big bed to sleep it off. Once we have reached Goa, we've forgotten our trials, and we look forward to making our trip an unforgettable experience.

Someone suggested that we ought to take a train to Goa from Bombay, as that may prove to be a lot more economical and faster. Be that as it may, train travel does not have the same magical effect of a road trip. A road trip is also a self discovery trip; a great learning experience, which connects you physically to a world you may not have even known to exist. Everyone should be given a chance to live life large, and I can't think of a better plan than cutting loose from everyday life and running away to a beautiful place. What you'll discover on the way, will surely change you're life forever! That's a promise!



http://www.facebook.com/AmbiPurIndia

 







No comments:

Post a Comment